Sunday 25 April 2010

The Tinker's Prayer (1985)

Sweet woman light, won't you come on down
Over the fields into the ground
See you carrying chill'n in your arms
Sheaves of wheat keep us from harm
Sweet mama come on to me, there's coal in the house, it's plain to see
Who you was a thinking whose it to be?
When was the time that you gave it all to me?
You may remember me, I do you
Popped from behind a stone a while back
Something tells me you've not changed at all
Something tells me we've both changed worlds
The colour of your skin, the shade of your eye
The way you tipped your hat
Nothing at all and everything
That's what it's all about
That's what it's all about

Palm to palm sat at this sunrise again
On my knees brow a sweating rain
Mercy mercy these folks all around
They don't see a Tinker thinker they see a clown
Come on down to me again
Like when I was a child I knew it then
Didn't know where I'd be
But I hoped it wouldn't be here
Pick up on the pace a bit
Got to get myself together
Lost in this sea of days
It's like swimming in lather
You don't know this agony
Like I don't know your pain
We can't use a family ticket
If we catch different trains
And I'm thinking in this place of mine
About what I've seen and done
Faces in wilderness places
Where once I saw it all began
Where once I saw it all began

Where do I stand where do I go now?
Up the road or sat where I am
Only place seems I can look for help
Is inside this head of lunatic selves
Still I'm thinking "Where are you?"
You don't know what I need but I'm sure you do
Here's for a poor suffering clown
Don't mope around, fuck right out of town
Loading up my cart of mirrors
Pots and pans, violas, zithers
Look inside, see yourself a thousand-fold
Before when our world was at war
With it's own
With it's own
With it's own fingers
Tinker's Prayer went up like a light
Gave the God's quite a fright
Tinker's Prayer went up like a light
Gave the Gods quite a fright
Gave the Gods quite a fright

No comments: